Well, I did it.
On Thursday I laced up my shoes, ate some peanut butter and banana toast, then headed down with some friends to Turner Field and ran the Thanksgiving Half Marathon.
Overall my experience was good. My time was right around 1:52, which I was pleased with.
Below are my observations, complaints, and praises of the entire day.
- Praise – The volunteers were amazing. A big Thank You to those who gave up their Thanksgiving morning to help the day go smoothly.
- Praise – Race Shirts – love them.
- Observation – The entire race felt like I was running up hill. I have nothing to compare it to since it was my first half, but I felt like I ran at an incline the entire time.
- Praise – For me, I desperately needed the “power jelly beans” on mile 8. My body was hitting a wall and that touch of sugar and sour taste helped take my mind off of the hills.
- Complaint- Marta – Since they didn’t accommodate the runners as well, it caused traffic to pile up on 75/85 like it was a holiday rush hour.
- Complaint – The after-race food. Though I knew I was about to stuff my face with turkey and dressing, I was hoping the after-race food would be more appealing. I guess I was expecting a party =)
Even with the complaints, I really enjoyed the day, run, and even the time sitting in traffic with my friends.
Also, I’ve very proud of @marvelissa who trained with her daughter and ran her first race ever.